What's Your Favorite Book?

Discussion in 'MyFallen.net's Pub of Off-Topica and Randomness' started by Peyton c:, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Peyton c:

Peyton c: Minecraft Forum Moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

20%
    Everybody's got a favorite story, whether it's read from a book or told to them orally, and it's pretty interesting to see what kinds of books people really enjoy reading and what genres they like.

My favorite books are The Odyssey by Homer (Translated, of course), Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. The Odyssey is about a man named Odysseus that hasn't seen his home in nine years after the Trojan War. The book is about his "nostos" or homecoming and all the adventures that take him home again. The Song of Achilles is about a boy named Patroclus who travels to the Trojan war with his best friend and lover, Achilles. It has a pretty tragic ending, so if you want to read a good tear-jerker, this is a good story for that. It's Kind of a Funny Story and Challenger Deep both are books about mental illness. The plot in both stories involve the main characters living in a mental ward, though the main character in It's Kind of a Funny Story suffers from depression and suicidal thoughts while the main character from Challenger Deep suffers from schizophrenia.

Anyways, I'm asking you now, what are your favorite books? What do you like about them and why? If you can't pick a favorite story, then do you have a favorite genre? :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. Reeselizz

Reeselizz Senior Forum Manager Staff Member Senior Forum Manager In-Game Moderator

76%
    Ahhhh I like a lot of books! I like: The 5th Wave, Schizo, The Lost and the Found, and Paperweight. I'm in to the types of books with the mental diseases and stuff...

3. Charaah

Charaah In-Game Moderator Staff Member In-Game Moderator

70%
    I think my favorite book would have to be 'Walk Two Moons', because the story doesn't only have one perspective, it has two coming from the same character. One of the perspectives is the main character telling the whole story that is leading up to what is currently happening to her, and the other is what she is doing in the moment. It's a totally brain twister, which I find really fun/interesting to read.

4. flamingsalmon

flamingsalmon Community News Forum Moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

45%
    I'd say my favorite book would be Black Noon by Art Garner. It's mainly about how the 1964 Indy 500 was cancelled due to a enormous crash, but just I find the writing interesting and it doesn't just talk about that single race, it chatters about the aftermath and what happened before also.

5. Trem

Trem Forum & In-Game Moderator Staff Member In-Game Moderator

70%
    I love The Quickie by James Patterson. I adore true crime with a touch of romance.
    I also really like books that show the psychological side of some criminals and why they did/do the things that they did/do.
    I also like when a controversial perspective is shared, just like in Parallel Journeys by Alfons Heck and Helen Waterford.